Thursday, September 04, 2008

I haven't lost my touch...




A friend of mine is getting married this coming Saturday, September 6th. She asked me to make her wedding cake on Monday. Yes, that is this past Monday, September 1st. And, since I have nothing else to do with my time (yeah, right!), I agreed to do it. My birthday is tomorrow and I really didn't want to be baking a cake on that day so I worked hard to get it done this evening. It's been quite some time since I've made a cake for a special occasion such as a wedding. Usually, Jeff and the girls want a chocolate cake with chocolate icing for their birthday which doesn't give me much to be creative with from a decorating stand point.
Since my friend told me so late in the game, she said it was up to me as to how it would look. Her maid of honor met with me on Wednesday and educated me a bit better on wedding colors, theme, etc. My friend's wedding on Saturday will have Fall colors. Evidently, she fell in love with some butterflies that were Fall colored at a local craft store and they became the center piece in which she planned the colors for her wedding. I made the cake this evening. I picked a very simple theme for the cake as time was not on my side. It is a yellow cake with buttercream icing. I also chose to use a cake stand instead of some type of stackable configuration. It's much easier for transporting and for serving in my opinion if a stand is used.
I haven't attached the butterflies and decorative leaves yet permanently to the cake. I'll wait and do that Saturday after I get it to the reception location but at least everyone viewing this can get an idea of what the cake will look like.
I'm exhausted now and I have a huge mess to clean up in the kitchen. But, at least I can enjoy my birthday tomorrow!

No comments: