Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin.~~Linus in the movie It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Interestingly enough, the choice to celebrate Halloween (or not) seems to have become a hot topic along with religion and politics. Christian, my neighbor's son, recently informed my daughters that those who celebrate Halloween were celebrating Satan's birthday. Ummm, no, not exactly. But, if that's what they really think we are doing, I'll bake a cake and invite my neighbors over to partake on Friday while we read incantations from Harry Potter. (Yes, I've read Harry Potter books. We've watched Harry Potter movies. And, no, my children aren't now practicing witch craft.) If someone is going to teach their child about why their religious beliefs dictate that they shouldn't celebrate a specific holiday, then at least tell them the truth. The fact is that it's never been about celebrating Satan's birthday. As for why we choose to celebrate Halloween....it's fun, you get to dress up in a costume, and people give you candy for free. Seems like a no-brainer to me...but what do I know? Now, I'll get off my soap box.

We carved our pumpkins this evening in preparation for Halloween on Friday. Anna wanted a Winnie the Pooh pumpkin which I helped her complete. Jeff carved his own pumpkin with Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants. And, Rachel wanted to have a traditional jack-o-lantern this year for hers. Anna also picked a pumpkin that was white in color so that was a bit different.
Here are a few pictures of our 2008 pumpkins (Rachel's is at the top of the post):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See...whenever we get the 'ole "evil holiday" comments, I just respond back with some jab about us Catholic folks going to church the next day and it really started as a Christian holiday...I'm with you...just have fun and enjoy the darn day.
Teresa

DieselRV said...

I like your response to the comments. We always put up our Christmas lights right after Halloween. I told Jeff this year we'd tell our neighbors that we felt so guilty for celebrating Halloween that we just needed more time to celebrate Christmas to repent. :-)

Honestly, people really do need to lighten up a bit. There are things in life to get worked up about...things that are true threats to our safety, well being, liberty...and to me, Halloween just isn't one of them. And, if the naysayers can't lighten up, it just means more candy for us sinners. :-)

Anonymous said...

What talent! Have fun!

As for the 'meaning' of Halloween, I was always told that you should light a fire to let the spirits into your home to warm themselves for the evening! Who knows??LOL
I still prefer the Mickey one now we've had a taste of it! LOL

DieselRV said...

I agree Jen! Gotta love Halloween at Disney.