Sunday, October 19, 2008

High Falls State Park, GA


Shortly after arriving at home last Tuesday afternoon from our Disney trip, I hopped in my van and drove north to Marietta for the remainder of the week for business. It was the first time I drove my own vehicle for business. Usually, I get a rental car. But, there wasn't time for picking one up after traveling from Orlando on the same day. During the second night at the hotel, vandals broke into eight vehicles. Two belonged to my coworkers. I was spared thankfully. The police said it has become common place as the thieves know there are a lot of business people staying at the hotels in the area and they look for lap tops, etc. They also look for suction cup markings on windshields (indicating the owner has a GPS). I was sorry that my coworkers were targeted but so greatful that I didn't have that to deal with; particularly since it was my first trip in my own vehicle. I'll definitely continue to get a rental car from here on out.

Jeff planned a weekend trip to High Falls State Park which is about half way between home and Marietta. So, I drove from Marietta to High Falls and met him there. Harold and Gail also stayed in their camper at High Falls before returning to Huntsville. They visited High Falls years ago with us when Rachel was an infant but had not been back since.

Friday was a very rainy day! But, the remainder of the weekend was beautiful thankfully. The temperatures finally cooled a bit so we also enjoyed some great Fall weather.

My van was a bit slow to start on Saturday morning and Jeff asked if it had been happening prior to then and I said, "yes." I had been meaning to tell him that I thought it was time for my battery to be replaced but like everything else, forgetfulness sets in and you aren't reminded until you experience the problem again. The van performed just fine on Saturday though but we both made a mental note that it was time for another battery when I got back home.


We hiked along the water at High Falls on Saturday morning. The falls were flowing well since it rained so much the day before. Afterwards, we drove to Indian Springs and enjoyed lunch at Pinky's Parlor and Cafe and then walked around at Dauset Trails. There was one goat in particular that had quite the personality. He started sneezing and then he started passing gas. Poor Anna was standing right behind him when it happened. Of course, kids think farting is about the most hilarious thing ever so Rachel was loudly talking about the goat "farting!" This same goat also urinated on the ground and then proceeded to lay in it. And, at another point, he furled his lip like many mammals do when they are trying to pick up the scent of a female in heat. He was such a male!


We returned to the campground late in the afternoon and we grilled out for dinner and I made some home made hot chocolate and we roasted marshmallows over a camp fire.

The girls played in the woods behind our RV and chased grasshoppers on Sunday morning while we prepped the campers to return home. Meanwhile, as I tried to crank the van, the battery gasped its last dying breath. Luckily, other campers were gracious enough to jump the battery off since Harold and Gail had already departed. I guess the cold weather zapped the remaining life from the battery which wasn't long for the world anyway. I was able to then drive to an autoparts store and they replaced my battery. I was greatful it happened at High Falls and not while I was alone in Marietta.



Our friend, Rheann, and her family will be traveling through GA this coming weekend and will be staying with us next Saturday. We can't wait to see them as it has been a couple of years since we saw them last.

No comments: