Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trip Back Home

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature. ~~Ralph Waldo Emerson
My Aunt Ethelene lives in Gardendale, AL. Since I was driving through that area on the way to visit with some friends and my Mom and Grandma, I make a quick pit stop to visit with her.

Anna, Kyle, Aunt Ethelene and Rachel

I was glad I stopped. I was able to meet her great-grandson, Kyle. Kyle's Dad is serving in the Army and is currently deployed to the Middle East. His son, my cousin, is just a little doll. I took some photos of Kyle and of the family and will be mailing those to Joey.


Me, Kim, Tracy and Maggie

Me, Kim, Tracy, Maggie and our children

Me, Kim, Maggie and Karen
*Note to self....must work on a tan!
I try to see my friends from home when time allows. Unfortunately, there usually isn't that much free time. Or, we all have such busy lives, that it is simply hard to coordinate a time where we are all free at the same time. I was able to schedule a visit with Maggie, Tracy, Kim and Karen on this visit. We all met at Maggie's house along with our children. We spent a nice afternoon catching up on life while the kids played. I have not seen Tracy since we graduated from high school; 20 years ago. I have, however, kept up a bit more regularly with Maggie, Kim and Karen through the years. Maggie has a beautiful home. She started a home decorating business a year or so ago and I say she definitely has the talent to do it.
I really wish I had more time to visit with my friends and family. I do miss them all so much. However, I seem to have even less time for friends than for family. It was so great seeing all of them; as well as Pete and Gabrielle while I was in Huntsville.
After visiting with my friends, we visited with my Aunt Josephine and her family; as well as my Mom and Grandma. The girls went swimming with their cousins while I visited with my Mom and Grandma for a while.

My Mom, Rachel, Anna and Grandma

After a lot of driving and a very long day, we retired to the hotel for a well deserved night of rest. Against my better judgement, I reserved a single king-sized bed room. I slept in between Rachel and Anna. I may has well have offered myself as a punching bag for the evening. They kicked. They punched. In a nutshell, I didn't get hardly any sleep last night. I won't be doing that again.

We made it back to Georgia safe and sound. I couldn't get back home quickly enough. I feel like I've been gone forever. It's good to be back home!

No comments: