Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Anna's New Bling


Jeff and I made the decision before our first daughter was born that we would not get their ears pierced as infants. Our opinion is that it is a personal choice and they should have the privilege of deciding to have their ears pierced. Also, I remember when I was a young girl and got my ears pierced. It was almost a right of passage milestone. I was able to decide when I was ready and I remember making that choice for myself. I wanted my daughters to have that same choice when they were ready.
A week or so ago Anna, the younger of our two daughters, began talking about wanting to get her ears pierced. I think Jeff and I both were hesitant because we figured it was all talk and that she would chicken out when the opportunity actually came. However, Anna is a woman of decision. She knows what she wants and she goes after it. So, I wasn't surprised when she didn't change her mind.
She was talking about it quite often while we were in Orlando so I told her I would take her to get her ears pierced when were in Huntsville. We arrived on Monday and I took her Monday afternoon. She chose studs with her birthstone in them. She didn't flinch when she got them pierced and both ears were pierced at the same time. She had a stunned look on her face after they pierced her ears but she did not cry one bit. After the initial sting, she was just fine. And, perfectly content with her choice. I asked Rachel if she was ready too but she wasn't. I thought she might change her mind once her sister got it done; particularly since Anna didn't cry. But, she said she wanted to wait...at least until her birthday in September. We'll see.... There is no rush though. I don't want her to get it done until she is ready.

No comments: