Sunday, November 23, 2008

Veteran's State Park

We spent this weekend at Georgia Veteran's State Park which is located in Cordele, GA. We had a wonderful, relaxing weekend...something we truly haven't done in a while. Usually, we tour the area where we are visiting but not this weekend. We stayed at our camper pretty much for the duration. It was pretty cold this weekend....down in the 20's at night....which is unusually cool for Georgia temperatures at this point in the year. I guess it must be that global warming. :-)

We talked about the trip in advance and decided that we would pretty much hang around the campground for the most part and just relax. We stopped at Stripling's when we arrived at the park and picked up some meat to grill. They have the best sausage. And, they have some nice steaks for reasonable prices. So, we bought some steaks and grilled them for dinner Friday night. We bought some sausage which we used for sausage biscuits for breakfast on Saturday morning. And, we bought some hotdogs that we cooked over a camp fire for lunch. The only meal that we ate out for this trip was dinner on Saturday night.
Jeff built a nice camp fire which he kept going most of the day on Saturday. The girls played in the woods near our camper or right outside of the camper and Jeff and I relaxed by the fire. We all went for a short walk to the ranger station and back after lunch. I took a nap after we got back. I don't remember the last time I did that but it was nice. Even the cat took it easy on Saturday. And, no I did not pose him. I actually found the worthless feline stretched out across our bed just like this.
We tried Daphne's Lodge for dinner on Saturday night. Daphne's Lodge is located almost directly outside of the park. One of my coworker's recommended it to me last week. I asked him in advance if it was a family restaurant or one more appropriate for couples only and he said it was a family restaurant. I think we were the only people there with children though. But, the girls were well behaved. I think if Jeff and I ever go again, it will be just the two of us though mainly because of the price of the entrees. But, I thought of it as more of a couple's restaurant.

New Year's Plans

Rachel and Anna are going to be traveling with Harold and Gail after Christmas to visit with family in West Virginia. Jeff and I had been tossing around ideas of where we would go in the RV while the girls were gone. We have reservations in Orlando at Fort Wilderness right now. As much as I'd like one trip to Disney for just the two of us, I think I might enjoy a place that's a bit closer and with less people. So, I suggested Savannah. I think that will be the place that we will go. If the weather is nice enough while we are there, I'd really like to visit Cumberland Island. I've wanted to go there for years but never felt like the girls were quite ready for that when we have visited the Georgia coast with them.

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year; to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow. ~Edward Sandford Martin

To our friends and family, we wish you a blessed Thanksgiving. If you're traveling to be with loved ones, we wish you safe travels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to Savannah! Stay on River Street! The pralines at Riverstreet Sweets are wonderful. Take the carriage tours of old historic Savannah! Do the Midnight in the Garden of Evil tour! Go for it! Do it! Do it! DO IT!!!!

Anonymous said...

As you know we went to Savannah last eyar when we visited with you :) It was a very interesting place! Oh and Happy Thanksgiving! Have a GREAT weekend!