Monday, December 29, 2008

What Did We Have For Dinner Tonight?

Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet. ~~Bill Cosby
Bill Cosby is right. Parents are interested in peace and quiet; we relish it, in fact. It truly is a valuable commodity when you have children.

And, like other parents, we love our children but we also truly appreciate the peace and quiet that temporarily resumes in our lives when the children are away for a few days. While driving home from getting groceries this past weekend, it was very noticeable at how quiet it was in our van with just the two of us. Usually, the girls are in the back with non-stop chatter going at all times.

I arrived home from work tonight and Jeff greeted me at the door with a big hug and a kiss. Of course, my first question was, "What do you want?" To which he replied, "Nothing, just welcoming you home." The normal "welcome home" entails him heading for the nearest peaceful exit when I enter because he's been alone busily entertaining the girls since they got home from school. It's not that he's not happy to see me (at least I don't think that's it); it's just that there is only so much a sane person can take of non-stop activity. And, by the time I walk in, he's ready for a break. Let me just say....my hat is off to the full time stay-at-home parents of little ones. Whatever patience gene you inherited was not passed on to me by my parents. There's only so much I can take of, "She's looking at me." And, "She's breathing too loudly." And, on and on and on........

And, then there was dinner time tonight. There was no debate and no complaints. Jeff and I had pecan crusted tilapia, steamed veggies and cheese grits. And, a slice of homemade bread that I made last night. If Anna were home, she would've eaten the homemade bread and that would've been it. For her, if it's not chicken fingers, pizza, french fries, hot dogs, or chocolate, she's not interested for the most part. And, today's favorite food is tomorrow's hated food. There's just no pleasin' everyone all the time it seems. I used to love to cook and I've found my interest in cooking the past few years to dwindle more and more as it is just so draining to plan a meal that makes everyone happy.

Life is definitely different when you have children. Not necessarily better or worse; just different. I've often forgotten what it was like when it was just the two of us but I do remember it was so much simpler back then. And, while there are some days we both feel like running and screaming into the night; I would not trade our life for anything. Well, maybe a few more days of peace and quiet, a daily massage at a local spa...... Just kidding......we miss our little munchkins. Besides, I'd swear Jeff was "breathing loudly" while we ate dinner tonight and I could've sworn he was "looking at me." :-)

No comments: