Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Update Before We Travel

We were spared illness for the most part during the winter months. No such luck now. I thought we were all battling seasonal allergies. I should've known something was up when Rachel was lethargic at gymnastics last week. But, she hasn't run a fever or otherwise acted ill other than sneezing and some sinus drainage. I brought the girls to the Pediatrician today (I think they need to start a frequent visitor rewards program; we'd rack up plenty of points) due to the ongoing coughing and continuing nasal drainage. Rachel tested positive for the flu. Anna did not. And, her feet continue to heal nicely which is a blessing. I visited my physician this afternoon and he believed my symptoms to be flu-like so he put me on tamaflu. Anna is also taking this in the hopes of preventing her from getting the flu. Did I mention I had the flu vaccine twice? A shot in the fall and nasal mist last month. A lot of good it did. I'm just hoping we'll all feel a bit better by Friday when we leave for Texas. And, I'm praying Jeff doesn't get it. We would all love a good night of sleep where we aren't all coughing non-stop.

Despite the illness news, I do have some good news to share....we got Rachel's report card from school yesterday. This is what her teacher had to say,

Rachel is reading 1st grade level books and continues to be interested in reading all kinds of books. She is writing "little books" about many topics in our writing work shop time. She spells many words from memory and spells words phonetically in her writing also. She can read her writing back to me and others as well. We will be working on writing poetry in our next unit.
I asked Rachel's teacher about when we might hear some feedback regarding Rachel's evaluation for the gifted program. She said the evaluations are continuing through the end of the school year and that I probably won't hear anything back until almost at the end of the school year.

No comments: