Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween



Jeff took Rachel and Anna trick-or-treating in our neighborhood and I stayed at our house and gave out candy to trick-or-treaters.

We had quite a few trick-or-treaters this year. A few had some great costumes. My favorite children were two brothers who walked up together. The older was dressed like Elvis and I don't remember what the younger was dressed as. But, I told the older child I'd give him extra candy if he could sing part of an Elvis song. He couldn't. But, he encouraged his younger brother to sing for him. He did, but it wasn't an Elvis song. He did the ABC song. It was so cute. So, I did give him extra candy for at least making an attempt.

I dressed up as Cruella Deville again. Visitors that came to our home enjoyed it. I even saw a couple of other adults dressed up. One man dressed as Darth Vader. And, another family all came dressed as mice. It was adoreable. I'm glad to see other adults having fun. For those who don't dress up, you simply don't know what you're missing! The smiles I bring to faces when I dress up makes it all worth it.

Now, I can understand those who don't give out candy (or celebrate Halloween) due to religious convictions. However, I simply don't understand the Halloween grinches who just won't participate. As with most years, maybe 40% of the homes participate and give out candy. I find it kind of sad really. It is so much fun for the children. I hate it when I look down the street and see over half of the homes with their lights off to signal that they aren't distributing candy. On the flipside though, there were a few homes that went all out....including setting up a haunted house on their property.

But, the part that does really drive me bonkers are the parents who drive the kids around. Honestly folks, part of the fun of trick or treating is getting out, walking around with your children, and meeting your neighbors. It might be the one time of the year many see their neighbors face-to-face as we all stay so busy the rest of the time. I can understand driving if someone is physically disabled but other than that....get out and take a walk!

I hope everyone had a great Halloween. We sure did. Now, I can look at the Christmas ornaments at Walmart and other places. I just couldn't bring myself to look much at Christmas stuff before Halloween. I went to Walmart yesterday to get extra bags of candy and there sat a huge Christmas tree in the entry way. It just doesn't seem right to see Christmas trees while buying Halloween candy. But, now that we are passed Halloween, let the Christmas fun begin! I'm sure we'll have our Christmas decorations out much earlier than everyone else. Why go through all of that trouble to decorate and only have it out a couple of weeks, right? Plus, our cat needs a new challenge. He has mastered climbing our small fall decorated tree and there aren't many ornaments left to break.

No comments: