Sunday, April 15, 2007

Annapolis, MD

"Damn the torpedoes, Full speed ahead!"~~Admiral David Glasgow Farragut
I had business trip to Annapolis April 10-11. It had been several years since I visited Annapolis. Of course, one of my favorite reasons for visiting Annapolis is the seafood.

The trip to Annapolis was for our corporate awards banquet in the evening on April 10th. I met with some of our personnel in our headquarters in the afternoon on the 10th and on the morning of the 11th. My flight back home didn't leave until 4 pm on the 11th and I couldn't get an earlier flight so I took the opportunity to do a little sight seeing.

The awards banquet was interesting. One of my coworkers, Vince, was nominated for one of the categories and he was the winner. I have known Vince since we were cadets at Auburn together. I was so happy for him and his wife, Jennifer, who also attended the banquet.

I took a guided tour of the Naval Academy. It was very interesting. I think my favorite part was the chapel. It was absolutely breathtaking. The crypt for John Paul Jones was also interesting. For those who have forgotten their history, Captain John Paul Jones is best known for the words ""I have not yet begun to fight!" said the during the famous battle between Bonhomme Richard and Serapis on 23 September 1779.
I had lunch at the Officer's Club and then headed downtown for a very brief stop. I highly recommend a tour of the Naval Academy if you ever get the opportunity.

While in the historic district, I stopped at the mom and pop restaurant Chick and Ruth's Delly to grab a milkshake to drink during my drive to the airport. If you like the old style restaurant reminiscent of an old soda shop, this is the place for you. And, the milkshake was yummy!

No comments: