Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Hope You Dance~ Mother's Day 2008

A mother is not a person to lean on but a person to make leaning unnecessary.~~Dorothy Canfield Fisher

I'm sure all mothers struggle with the notion of wondering if they are doing the best job in parenting their children or not. I've read some great parenting books. I've learned from other great parents too. And, there are some days I simply learn through OJT (on-the job training). Some times I am proud of myself and other days I wonder if I'm cut out for being a Mom. I guess it is part of the cycle that all women go through with being a parent.

I remember when our daughters first went to school. Other children were clinging to their mother; crying their hearts out. My children were the opposite. They toddled off without so much as a second glance. And, while I was thankful my children weren't upset by this new adventure (truly I would've been much more traumatized had they panicked); there was a pang of sadness as there is that small part where I wanted them to want me and need me too. Then, I realized that even at such a young age, my girls were self assured and confident enough to tread off without me. And, that was a good thing. When Rachel or Anna independently take off down a trail without looking back at us, I realize that they are doing exactly what they need to be doing. I guess it is one of the hardest parts of parenting; giving them wings to fly...and then letting them actually fly.

I hope our children will be confident, happy, and productive adults at the end of the parenting journey (although, I'm not convinced that parents ever really cross the finish line as long as they are alive). But, I also hope that our children learn one other thing from us....to simply enjoy life and appreciate each moment of each day. Every day that we breathe is a gift. There will be sadness and there will be happiness. But, it is the roller coaster of the ups and downs which make it all worth living. Life is a journey, not a destination.

It is in this spirit that I post Lee Ann Womack's song lyrics, "I Hope You Dance." To my daughters; and to anyone reading this, I do hope you dance.

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat

But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean


Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing
glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: