Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown

It's funny how after years of marriage (and children) that Valentine's Day is much different than when it was just Jeff and I. We just don't have the luxury of long romantic dinners for just the two of us. Not that I would trade my life as a Mom for anything, but some times, I do miss having time for just the two of us. We decided to give one another our Valentines gifts and such on Wednesday night because we knew we'd be busy packing on Thursday for a trip to Alabama.

First, there was dinner out. As Jeff later said, "We should've just eaten at home." The whine at our table was not the variety served in a glass. But, I appreciated the effort by my well-meaning husband nonetheless. Rachel gave me a Russell Stovers heart-shaped box of chocolates with a small teddy bear attached to the top, to which she promptly asked after handing me the box, "Mommy, can I have the bear?" Then, Anna gave me a princess birthday card for my Valentine's card. Gotta love it. And, they both gave a balloon and flowers.

On Thursday night, I received my final present. A hot bath with rose petals in the jacuzzi tub by candlelight and topped off with a glass of wine. It was supposed to be some relaxing alone time. But, before I could begin undressing, Anna asked, "Mommy, can I get in with you?" Jeff quickly interrupted and shooed her out of the bathroom. So, I did get some quiet down time in the bath all by myself. A girl could get used to this sort of treatment.

I was looking forward to a week alone with Jeff...just the two of us next week. The girls are out for their winter break and they are staying with Harold and Gail....hence our trip to Huntsville to drop the girls off. But, our week alone together wasn't meant to be as duty calls. My supervisor asked me to go to Marietta next week. I told Jeff he would have the ultimate peaceful week with no women to contend with.

Oh well...we'll get Monday night and Friday night together. And, the girls will be back home next Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a thoughtful loving husband you have! Good on ya Jeff!:)
You know, you could always send the girls here for school vacation if Harold and Gail aren't avaiable! How are you getting on finding prices to here? Crazy aren't they? Oh, I need the details of all your birthdays please. I have months, but no dates (other than Rachels). Hope you have a 'love-ly' week! Take care!

Anonymous said...

I've never been a whole week without Claire! It sounds wonderful! ;) Marietta without kids or husbands doesnt sound too bad either...bookstores, coffee, room service....ahhhh!