Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Semi-Affluent Homeless

I met a gentleman camping next to us today. His name is Tom. After I told Tom we were living in our RV full time, he asked me if I had ever heard of the term "semi-affluent homeless?" I responded, "no."

Evidently, he was full-timing it in his RV when the last census was taken and he was classified as "semi-affluent homeless" by the census bureau.

I have to say this term made me chuckle a bit. I'm sure someone spent days sweating over the most politically correct term to describe us. There's a fine use of resources.

The whole discusson on "semi-affluent homeless" reminded me of some other experiences where we have had to deal with businesses or government offices regarding our living status.

One of my favorites was when I went to get our tag at the local Department of Motor Vehicles office. They asked for my address and I gave them my PO Box address. The lady (and I use that term loosely) behind the counter huffed and responded back quite sharply, "you don't live in a PO Box." I replied, "No. I live in my RV. And, my RV may be parked here one day or in another state in a few days." So, she marched off with an attitude to get her manager. I couldn't believe that this was such an issue for them. Her manager came back and explained that by February (when it's time for tag renewal), that I had to provide a permanent residence address. She recommended that I pick a friend or family member who lives locally who will allow us to use their address for purposes of giving them a physical location so they can determine our ad valorem taxes. You just gotta love taxes!

And, PO Boxes do not just impact taxes. Our insurance company didn't like the PO Box address either. I can name other businesses too who absolutely refuse to take a PO Box for an address. It's just so frustrating!

But, I do feel better now knowing that I am not alone with my trials and tribulations...there is a whole group of us out there who are semi-affluent homeless who don't live in a PO Box.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. When we moved here we were given the address that we would move into but were in a motel waiting on it to be ready when I enrolled A in school. He was tagged in the computer as homeless even though I knew and gave them the address of the house. People and their useless rules.
Tina

Unknown said...

this post is funny... I have wanted to live in an rv fulltime forever! But I'm scared of all the drama a lot places present against po boxes... I wish that by the time my wish comes true, there have been certain regulations regarding the "permanent" address thing...

Reed and Elaine's Travel Blog said...

We're full time RV'ers ourselves and use a mail forwarding organization in Rapid City. We had to provide a local address when we went to DMV to get driver's licenses. You have to have spent at least one night in the county. Well, there are a lot of RV'ers with the permanent address of 1200 Lacrosse St, the local Walmart parking lot
Reed