Friday, November 17, 2006

Four letter words and the Bucket

Last night Rachel, Anna, and Daddy (me) were playing Hi-Ho Cherry-O. To win the game, you must be the first person to have zero cherries left on your tree. I had won the first game. Rachel (our five year old) is VERY competitive (don’t know where she gets that) and had only one cherry left on her tree in the second game. It was her turn to spin and she could smell victory. However, it wasn’t meant to be and her spin landed on the bucket symbol which meant all cherries had to be put back on her tree. As soon as the spinner pointed to the bucket Rachel looked up and with a straight face said, “DAMN!" Shocked, I looked at Anna and then back at Rachel. I asked Rachel “What did you just say”. And she repeated it just as before “DAMN”. I asked her where she learned this and she said she didn't know. After we had the discussion “We don’t say those words….” I thought to myself…where did she learn this…and where ever it was she also learned the proper use of the word. So yesterday, November 17, 2006, Rachel said her first four letter word and used it properly, another childhood milestone...we are so proud. At least it didn't rhyme with bucket. :)

No comments: